Slip and fall accidents can involve slipping on ice or snow, wet floors, tripping over a torn carpet or uneven surface or stepping into a pothole. If you have been the victim of such an injury, you may have basis for a claim. It is necessary, however, that such claims be promptly investigated by an experienced injury attorney.
Injury Attorney Discusses What to Do If Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
- Report the injury to the owner or manager of the premises.
- Get a copy of any accident report.
- If you or a friend or relative has a camera, then take pictures of the entire scene.
- Ask yourself what was it about the premises or area that was defective or dangerous that caused your injury.You need to be able to explain this.
Consider the use of expert witnesses
Frequently in a slip and fall case the right expert witness can make or break the case. After a thorough investigation has been conducted some potential experts to be considered are the following:
- Structural engineer. If there is any issue relating to the engineering integrity of the premises where the fall occurred, then a structural engineer can research and explain any appropriate code violations.
- Trade experts. Construction experts can help explain such things as why the cement on the landing of a stairway has disintegrated. It may be that a construction expert discovers that there was a building code violation in that the necessary layer of gravel and necessary amount of cement was not used in the construction of the landing.
- Weather expert. If reports are unlikely to be admissible at trial from the appropriate weather reporting agency, then a meterologist may be an appropriate witness. Typically these types of reports can be obtained from the various government climate centers.
- Medical witnesses. Paramedics and other EMTs who responded to the scene should not be overlooked as potential witnesses. They may have critical information as to the source of the substance that caused the slip and fall or other pertinent information.
Brien Roche is an experienced slip and fall accident lawyer serving the areas of Fairfax County Virginia, Washington D.C. If you have a slip and fall claim, contact us.